Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Couches, Couches, and More Couches

The problem with couches, is that they cost an un-holy amount more to refurbish than you would ever guess. When I bought these antique beasts (beasts, because they weigh more than I did at nine months pregnant) I thought that the 80 dollar price tag was a steal of a deal....

....Little did I know, the seller knew something that I didn't. This set would end up costing over 1200 dollars (not even including fabric) to re-upholster! Even if I stretch my budget and recover them in drop-cloth, I am appalled at the idea of spending that much on something that in the end will still only be masquerading as my true love couches from Restoration Hardware. So, here they sit. 4 couches in one tiny living room. And I am starting to think crazy. I am considering selling them all- and starting over. Buying a 400 dollar NEW set from Ikea and a more expensive slipcovered set from Evans Gatehouse. I could have 2 new sets for the price of this one- maybe. At least in my head it works out that way.

2 comments:

  1. If I were a little better with the sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog when I was doing a google search on "1950s brick cottage"--I'm in the process of buying a 1952 brick cottage of my own. The one I'm buying is a bit more updated than yours (the bathroom and kitchen scream 1970s instead of "Save me! Please!!!"), but I've been enjoying reading about your process of updating your cottage. I love what you've done so far and on such a tight budget--I'm sure it must feel overwhelming sometimes. Any kind of renovation does, but you're doing a great job. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete